US News Egypt church bombing kills at least 21

14:35  09 april  2017
14:35  09 april  2017 Source:   Sky News

Catholic priest who spent church donations on foreign travel faces sentence

  Catholic priest who spent church donations on foreign travel faces sentence A Roman Catholic priest will be sentenced for fraudulently diverting more than £50,000 donated to his church by parishioners. Father John Reid, 69, admitted abusing his position after he took the money meant for charitable purposes and the upkeep of St Cuthbert's Church, Chester-le-Street, County Durham.During the four-year period, from June 2009 to October 2013, he instead spent some of the money on foreign travel and restaurants.He was also accused of failing to keep proper receipts and accounts.

A powerful bomb , possibly from a suicide attacker, exploded in front of a Coptic Christian church as a crowd of worshippers emerged from a New Years Mass early Saturday, killing at least 21 people It was the deadliest violence involving Christians in Egypt since at least 20 people, mostly Christians

VATICAN CITY Pope Benedict on Sunday condemned the bomb attack outside a church in Egypt on Saturday that killed at least 21 people, the latest in a string of attacks against Christians in the Middle East and Africa.

At least 21 people have been killed after a bomb exploded inside a packed Egyptian church as worshippers marked Palm Sunday, says the country's health ministry.

Thirty-eight are also injured, said Magdi Awad, head of the provincial ambulance service. State television, meanwhile, put the number at 42.

The explosion happened in the city of Tanta - about 70 miles north of Cairo - at the Mar Girgis Coptic Church.

Video and pictures, reportedly showing the aftermath, show crowds gathered around bodies and large blood stains on the pews and church walls.

Egypt church bombing kills at least 21

  Egypt church bombing kills at least 21 At least 21 people have been killed after a bomb exploded inside a packed Egyptian church as worshippers marked Palm Sunday, says the country's health ministry.Thirty-eight are also injured, said Magdi Awad, head of the provincial ambulance service. State television, meanwhile, put the number at 42.

Cairo — An Egypt church bombing today has raised fears that global terrorist organizations are exploiting the country's rising sectarian tension as The powerful explosion took place outside a Coptic Christian church in Alexandria during a New Year's Eve mass early Saturday, killing at least 21

At least 21 dead and more than 70 injured after bomb explodes outside Coptic church in Alexandria.


"Either a bomb was planted or someone blew himself up," provincial governor Ahmad Deif told the state-run Nile TV channel.

A witness told the Reuters news agency: "There was a huge explosion in the hall. Fire and smoke filled the room and the injuries were extremely severe.

The explosion took place in a church in the Egyptian city of Tanta, in the Nile Delta © Sky News Screen Grab The explosion took place in a church in the Egyptian city of Tanta, in the Nile Delta
"I saw the intestines of those injured and legs severed entirely from their bodies,"

Egypt is home to around nine million Coptic Christians and there have been previous attacks on them by groups linked to Islamic State. However, no one has so far claimed responsibility.

A bomb in a cathedral in Cairo killed at least 25 people in December 2016, many of them women and children.

Targeted killings in the country's Sinai peninsula have also caused hundreds of Christians to flee the area and an IS video in February called for more attacks.

Pope Francis, due to visit Egypt at the end of this month, has condemned the attack.

Egyptian state television said President Abdel Fattah al-Sisi would visit the site later and has ordered an emergency defence council meeting.

Copts often suffer attacks in more rural areas of Egypt, usually over things such as the construction of a church or inter-faith relationships.

More follows...

Shark kills teenage girl surfing with father in Western Australia .
<p>A 17-year-old girl has died after being mauled by a shark while out surfing with her father off the south coast of Western Australia.</p>The attack at a popular surfer break known as Kelp Beds, near the town of Esperance, was reportedly witnessed from the beach by the teenager's mother and sisters.

—   Share news in the SOC. Networks

Topical videos:

This is interesting!